Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Crossing the Atlantic

I traveled from Davenport with a girl I met at my pre-departure meeting (Jordan Lohf) and we went to the Chicago airport and flew straight to Rome. We arrived in Rome safely on Sunday and found our way to our next flight to Venice. Jordan and I arrived in Venice around 11:30am and got on a bus to our hostel. The bus driver kindly told us when to get off and we asked a lady who spoke English to help us find Hotel Altieri. She directed us and we walked a short way to our hostel. It was a very small room with 3 small beds but was cozy and comfortable. Jordan and I took naps when we got there--we were so exhausted from all of the travel. We got up around 5pm and showered and got ready to go out to eat. We found a pizzeria not far away and had pizza and beer. Oh and it was foggy! Lots and lots of fog--really eerie walking around at night.

The next day we got completely lost trying to find our way to the train station--my Italian phrasebook saved us several times. I learned a lot having to talk to strangers and ask for directions, which buses to take, and where the train station was. When we finally did make it to our campus in Paderno, the sights were beautiful. We are staying at a private Italian middle/high school called Istituto Filippin. It is a sight to see the parents of the kids in the morning dropping them off in farraris and other nice cars. We eat pasta for lunch and dinner EVERY DAY. The 1st course is always a type of pasta, the second course is usually a type of meat or other side, and then dessert is always pudding or fruit. Classes started today and I love my professors! I am taking....Italian for Travelers, International Finance, International Marketing, Financial Management, and Business, Culture, and Society. I can't wait to start sightseeing -- everything in Italy is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment